Manuel Rossner (* 1989) lives and works in Berlin. He studied art at the University of Art and Design Offenbach, the École des Arts-Décoratifs Paris and the Tongji College for Design and Innovation Shanghai.
Since 2012 Rossner has been designing digital spaces and virtual worlds in which he investigates the effects of technological developments on society and art. He builds interactive architecture with digital materials that is spatial intervention and virtual extension.
Rossner deals with the future of exhibitions in the digital world: In 2017 he designed a digital extension for the NRW-Forum Düsseldorf and curated the VR exhibition “Unreal” together with Alain Bieber with, among others, Tabita Rezaire and Banz & Bowinkel. In 2019 he designed the virtual gallery building “CUBE” for the Roehrs & Boetsch gallery in Zurich.
Rossner uses digital exhibition rooms as so-called gyms in which he trains artificial intelligence. In his solo exhibition “There’s No Feeling, Where There’s No Pain” (2019) at the Museum der Bildenden Künste Leipzig, the AI learned to walk and follow a ball. “Surprisingly This Rather Works” in the KÖNIG GALERIE shows objects that form an AI training course that the digital visitor can experience with an avatar. Rossner transforms the brutalist Church of St. Agnes into a gaming environment inspired by the 1990s game show “American Gladiators” and gyms that companies like OpenAI in San Francisco use for cutting-edge research in the field of artificial intelligence. He explores the question of what life will look like in the future with artificial intelligence.
Further solo and group exhibitions: “Perception is Reality” at the Frankfurter Kunstverein (2017), “Ultralight Beam” at the 1822-Forum Frankfurt (2017), “Artificial Paradise?” at KM – Künstlerhaus Graz (2018), “Virtual Natives – Sculpture” at Roehrs & Boetsch in Zurich, “Analog Digital”, Safiental Biennale (2020).
- Berlin, Augmented Berlin together with Highsnobiety, 2021
- Surprisingly This Rather Works, KÖNIG GALERIE Berlin, 2020 (Solo)
- There’s No Feeling Where There’s No Pain, Museum der bildenden Künste Leipzig, 2019 (Solo)
- Digital Natives — Sculpture,
CUBE / Roehrs & Boetsch, Zurich, 2019
- Artifical Paradise?
KM — Künstlerhaus Graz, 2018
- Perception is Reality, Frankfurter Kunstverein
- Unreal & NRW-Forum Extension Building,
NRW-Forum Düsseldorf, 2017
- Ultralight Beam, 1822 Forum / Float Gallery, Frankfurt am Main (Solo), 2017
Teaching, Workshops & Residencies
- Lecturer at Universität der Künste Berlin
- Host of a master class at Filmuniversität Babelsberg together with Prof. Frank Geßner
- Voice Interaction Workshop, Junges Staatstheater Berlin
- The Eternal Internet Brother/Sisterhood,
Sigiriya, Sri Lanka
- Ten To Six Workshop FH Bielefeld
- Captcha Mannheim, Design Festival
- How to Water — A Slow Performance, Serifos Island, Greece
- L’exposition numérique comme œuvre d’art École national supérieur des Beaux-Arts, Paris
Talks & Conferences
Press & Publications
Roehrs & Boetsch
WORK AVAILABLE AT